UK to Spend ‘Record’ £300 Bn on Defense Over Next Four Years

By
UK to Spend 'Record' £300 Bn on Defense Over Next Four Years
Starmer announces defense spending plan. AFP
Share:

Outgoing UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer announced Tuesday that Britain would spend almost £300 billion ($397 billion) over the next four years to modernize its armed forces amid rising threats.

Starmer, expected to leave office next month after losing the support of Labour MPs, announced the increase in defense spending as he launched his long-awaited 10-year Defense Investment Plan (DIP).

The announcement follows months of wrangling within his Labour government over the resources required to modernize the UK’s armed forces.

The plan includes more than £5 billion ($6.6 billion) for drones and autonomous systems over the next four years, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said in a press release.

Two defense ministers quit earlier this month in a row over the DIP, including Defense Secretary John Healey who said it risked making Britain “less safe”. The resignations highlighted Starmer’s weakening authority.

Healey quit on June 11 saying in his resignation letter to Starmer that the DIP only saw defense spending rise to 2.68 percent of GDP by 2030.

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly urged NATO allies to spend more and become less reliant on Washington for security.

UK media reported that new Defense Secretary Dan Jarvis secured some extra money for the plan, taking the full settlement to £14.5 billion, up from the £13.5 billion put to Healey. That would still be short of the £28 billion that military leaders previously said was needed.

Ex-armed forces minister Al Carns, who followed Healey out of the door last month, accused the then-version of the investment plan of being short-sighted and planning for the “last war rather than the next one”.

Starmer, who hopes the 10-year defense spending plan will become one of his legacies, called the proposals “game-changing investment” in a statement released late on Monday. AFP

 

 

Eagle Intel Report authors
EIR

Eagle Intelligence Reports is a trusted global platform specializing in delivering insightful political and strategic analysis as well as exclusive intelligence to decision-makers, researchers, and audiences engrossed in modern international affairs.

SIGN UP FOR FREE TO EAGLE INTELLIGENCE REPORTS

Exclusive Insights & Reports

Get access to in-depth analysis, exclusive intelligence, and expert reports designed to keep you informed and ahead of the curve on the most important global developments.

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy.

What to read next...
North Korea Fires Missiles as Trump Seeks Kim Meeting
North Korea Fires Missiles as Trump Seeks Kim Meeting
By
U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth departs following a press briefing at the Pentagon on April 08, 2026 in Arlington, Virginia. It was announced that a temporary ceasefire has been reached between the U.S., Iran, and Israel, pausing attacks for about two weeks while Iran reopens the Strait of Hormuz and negotiations continue toward a longer-term agreement.
Over 770 U.S. Troops Killed, Wounded Since Iran War
By
Israel's Foreign Minister Israel Katz
Israel Warns Erdogan Over Turkey’s “Dangerous Adventures” in Syria
By
U.S. President Donald Trump
Trump Declares ‘Economic D-Day’ Against Iran, Threatens Partners
By
Baden-Württemberg, Karlsruhe: A person is led to a helicopter. A suspected mastermind of the attacks on the Nord Stream gas pipelines had previously had a detention hearing at the investigating judge of the Federal Court of Justice (BGH) in Karlsruhe.
Germany Arrests Ukrainian in Croatia Over Nord Stream Sabotage
By
Yemeni coastguard members loyal to the internationally-recognised government observe as others ride in a patrol boat in the Red Sea off of the government-held town of Mokha in the western Taiz province, close to the strategic Bab al-Mandab Strait
Houthis Plot Bab al-Mandab Seizure, Threatening Global Shipping
By
US President Donald Trump (L) and Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney (R)
Trump Pauses 50% Canada Tariffs as Trade Deal Nears
By
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio
Rubio Discusses Hormuz Security with UAE Official
By

SIGN UP FOR FREE TO EAGLE INTELLIGENCE REPORTS

Exclusive Insights & Reports

Get access to in-depth analysis, exclusive intelligence, and expert reports designed to keep you informed and ahead of the curve on the most important global developments.

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy.

Eagle Intelligence Reports
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.