US Secretary of State Marco Rubio offered Cubans a “new path” in a special video address Wednesday hours before Washington was expected to criminally indict the island’s former leader Raul Castro.
Addressing the Cuban people directly in Spanish, Rubio accused the country’s communist leadership of theft, corruption and oppression.
“President (Donald) Trump is offering a new path between the US and a new Cuba,” said Rubio, the son of Cuban immigrants. “A new Cuba where you have a real opportunity to choose who governs your country and vote to replace them if they are not doing a good job.”
Days before, Trump said that he will hold talks with Cuba, which has been suffering for months due to a US-imposed fuel embargo following the arrest of Havana’s ally, Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro.
On Truth Social, calling Cuba “a failed country… heading in one direction – down!, he wrote, “Cuba is asking for help, and we are going to talk,” without providing details.
Earlier this month, Trump had said that the United States would “take control” of the Caribbean island off the coast of Florida “almost immediately.” (AFP/EIR)



