U.S. Ambassador Condemns Israel After Strikes Hit Syria

By
Abu Al-Duhur Airbase in Idlib, Syria
Abu Al-Duhur Airbase in Syria. AFP
Share:

U.S. envoy for Syria Tom Barrack said Israel was behind strikes on a disused air base in the country’s northwest on Tuesday. 

“The confirmed Israeli airstrikes on Abu al-Duhur Airbase constitute an unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability,” he wrote in a post on X, adding “we encourage all parties to prioritize logical discourse over further military incidents.” 

The statement comes as Syria’s foreign ministry condemned what it said was an “unjustified” Israeli “act of aggression.” According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor, the attack followed “a visit by a Turkish military delegation to the airfield in recent days, as part of efforts to reactivate it.” Israel has not commented on the incident. 

Israel has been conducting hundreds of strikes on Syria since the December 2024 overthrow of longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad. Turkey is a key ally of the new authorities. Last month, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani condemned “the continuation of Israeli military actions” and warned that “the unlawful occupation of our land beyond the 1974 line is a direct threat to the security of the region.” But last week Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said that his country planned to keep troops in Syria. 

The U.S. criticism marks a notable shift in the increasingly complex security competition unfolding in post-Assad Syria. The Israeli strikes could indicate growing concerns from Tehran over the expansion of Turkish influence and military infrastructure in Syria. The characterization of the strikes as an “unnecessary escalation” also exposes potential tensions between U.S. efforts to stabilize Syria and Israel’s strategy of using military force to prevent perceived threats from taking root. The incident underscores how Syria is becoming an arena of overlapping Israeli, Turkish, and U.S. security interests, increasing the risk that localized military actions could trigger wider regional friction. 

 

Eagle Intel Report authors
EIR

Eagle Intelligence Reports is a trusted global platform specializing in delivering insightful political and strategic analysis as well as exclusive intelligence to decision-makers, researchers, and audiences engrossed in modern international affairs.

SIGN UP FOR FREE TO EAGLE INTELLIGENCE REPORTS

Exclusive Insights & Reports

Get access to in-depth analysis, exclusive intelligence, and expert reports designed to keep you informed and ahead of the curve on the most important global developments.

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy.

What to read next...
Baden-Württemberg, Karlsruhe: A person is led to a helicopter. A suspected mastermind of the attacks on the Nord Stream gas pipelines had previously had a detention hearing at the investigating judge of the Federal Court of Justice (BGH) in Karlsruhe.
Germany Arrested Ukrainian Over Nord Stream Sabotage in Croatia
By
Yemeni coastguard members loyal to the internationally-recognised government observe as others ride in a patrol boat in the Red Sea off of the government-held town of Mokha in the western Taiz province, close to the strategic Bab al-Mandab Strait
Houthis Plot Bab al-Mandab Seizure, Threatening Global Shipping
By
US President Donald Trump (L) and Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney (R)
Trump Pauses 50% Canada Tariffs as Trade Deal Nears
By
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio
Rubio Discusses Hormuz Security with UAE Official
By
Japanese Judge Tomoko Akane, President of the International Criminal Court (ICC)
Japan Opposes U.S. Sanctions on ICC Chief Akane
By
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi (L) and South Korean President Lee Jae Myung (R)
Chinese Foreign Minister to Visit Seoul After Trump’s Remarks 
By
Jared Kushner, son-in-law of US President Donald Trump, speaks during the inaugural meeting of the "Board of Peace" at the US Institute of Peace in Washington, DC, on February 19, 2026.
Trump Envoy Says Hamas Disarmament Could Begin Within Month
By
A banner depicting U.S. President Donald Trump and bearing messages was displayed in front of the Zolfaghar and Zolghadr ballistic missiles exhibited at Azadi Square in Tehran, Iran's capital, on August 2, 2026.
Iran Warns of Escalation, Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman
By

SIGN UP FOR FREE TO EAGLE INTELLIGENCE REPORTS

Exclusive Insights & Reports

Get access to in-depth analysis, exclusive intelligence, and expert reports designed to keep you informed and ahead of the curve on the most important global developments.

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy.

Eagle Intelligence Reports
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.