Macron Affirms Syria Visit Continues Despite Bombings

By
Macron Affirms Syria Visit Continues Despite Bombings
France's President Emmanuel Macron. AFP
Share:

French President Emmanuel Macron affirmed that his visit to Syria will continue despite two explosions that occurred near his residence in Damascus on Tuesday.

In a post on X, Macron said, “Nothing can extinguish the aspirations of Syrians to live in a fully sovereign, secure, pluralistic, and unified Syria.”

He added that he met with Syrians representing various segments of society, praising what he described as the “dignity, courage, and determination” he witnessed in them, and confirming that his visit to Syria “continues.”

Two explosions rocked Damascus earlier in the day near a hotel where Macron spent the night after arriving in the Syrian capital.

The explosions occurred shortly before Syrian state television announced Macron’s arrival at the presidential palace for official talks with his Syrian counterpart, Ahmed al-Sharaa, making him the first Western head of state to visit Damascus since the fall of the Bashar al-Assad. The French presidency confirmed that President Macron is safe and continuing his visit to Syria following the explosions.

The visit comes amid mutual efforts to rebuild relations between Syria and Western countries after the political changes that swept the country following the overthrow of Assad. It is the third visit by a foreign leader to Syria, after those of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani. (AFP/EIR)

Eagle Intel Report authors
EIR

Eagle Intelligence Reports is a trusted global platform specializing in delivering insightful political and strategic analysis as well as exclusive intelligence to decision-makers, researchers, and audiences engrossed in modern international affairs.

SIGN UP FOR FREE TO EAGLE INTELLIGENCE REPORTS

Exclusive Insights & Reports

Get access to in-depth analysis, exclusive intelligence, and expert reports designed to keep you informed and ahead of the curve on the most important global developments.

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy.

What to read next...
Belgium Takes Over NATO Air Defense Mission in Iceland
Belgium Takes Over NATO Air Defense Mission in Iceland
By
China Says U.S. Sanctions, Pressure Won’t Resolve Iran Crisis
China Says U.S. Sanctions, Pressure Won’t Resolve Iran Crisis
By
European Powers Demand Israel Halt Major West Bank Settlement
European Powers Demand Israel Halt Major West Bank Settlement
By
Russia Arrests Nine Over Alleged Ukraine Attacks Plots
Russia Arrests Nine Over Alleged Ukraine Attacks Plots 
By
China and Indonesia Hold Defense Talks After Taiwan Drill
China and Indonesia Hold Defense Talks After Taiwan Drill
By
North Korea Fires Missiles as Trump Seeks Kim Meeting
North Korea Fires Missiles as Trump Seeks Kim Meeting
By
U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth departs following a press briefing at the Pentagon on April 08, 2026 in Arlington, Virginia. It was announced that a temporary ceasefire has been reached between the U.S., Iran, and Israel, pausing attacks for about two weeks while Iran reopens the Strait of Hormuz and negotiations continue toward a longer-term agreement.
Over 770 U.S. Troops Killed, Wounded Since Iran War
By
Israel's Foreign Minister Israel Katz
Israel Warns Erdogan Over Turkey’s “Dangerous Adventures” in Syria
By

SIGN UP FOR FREE TO EAGLE INTELLIGENCE REPORTS

Exclusive Insights & Reports

Get access to in-depth analysis, exclusive intelligence, and expert reports designed to keep you informed and ahead of the curve on the most important global developments.

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy.

Eagle Intelligence Reports
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.