Lebanon, Israel to Hold New Talks in US as Ceasefire Nears End

By
Lebanon, Israel to Hold New Talks in US as Ceasefire Nears End
The site of an Israeli airstrike on southern Lebanon. AFP
Share:

Lebanon and Israel are to hold new peace talks in Washington starting Thursday, as their latest ceasefire — considered to still be in place despite hundreds of deaths in Israeli strikes — nears its end.

On the eve of the negotiations, Lebanon’s Health Ministry said that 22 people, including eight children, were killed Wednesday as Israel intensified airstrikes.

The attacks pounded about 40 locations in Lebanon’s south and east, according to the country’s state-run National News Agency (NNA).

The two nations last met on April 23 at the White House, where US President Donald Trump announced a three-week ceasefire extension and voiced optimism for a historic agreement.

Trump at the time made the bold prediction that, within the latest ceasefire period, he would welcome Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Lebanese President Joseph Aoun to Washington for a historic first summit between the countries.

The summit did not happen, with Aoun saying a security deal needed to be in place and Israeli attacks needed to end before such a landmark meeting.

The ceasefire, which went into effect on April 17, had been extended through Sunday.

Still, Israeli strikes have killed more than 400 people during the truce, according to a tally of figures from Lebanese authorities.

Israel has vowed to keep pursuing attacks against Hezbollah, the Shia armed group and political movement backed by Iran’s ruling clerics, despite the ceasefire.

Hezbollah began a campaign of firing into Israel in retaliation for the killing of Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, at the start of the US-Israeli war on February 28.

“Anyone who threatens the State of Israel will die because of his actions,” Netanyahu said last week after an Israeli strike in the heart of Beirut killed a senior Hezbollah commander.

Iran has demanded a lasting ceasefire in Lebanon before any agreement to end the wider war, as it has frustrated Trump by refusing his appeals for an accord on his terms.

The Middle East war has spread throughout the region, roiling the global economy and impacting hundreds of millions worldwide. (AFP)

Eagle Intel Report authors
EIR

Eagle Intelligence Reports is a trusted global platform specializing in delivering insightful political and strategic analysis as well as exclusive intelligence to decision-makers, researchers, and audiences engrossed in modern international affairs.

SIGN UP FOR FREE TO EAGLE INTELLIGENCE REPORTS

Exclusive Insights & Reports

Get access to in-depth analysis, exclusive intelligence, and expert reports designed to keep you informed and ahead of the curve on the most important global developments.

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy.

What to read next...
North Korea Fires Missiles as Trump Seeks Kim Meeting
North Korea Fires Missiles as Trump Seeks Kim Meeting
By
U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth departs following a press briefing at the Pentagon on April 08, 2026 in Arlington, Virginia. It was announced that a temporary ceasefire has been reached between the U.S., Iran, and Israel, pausing attacks for about two weeks while Iran reopens the Strait of Hormuz and negotiations continue toward a longer-term agreement.
Over 770 U.S. Troops Killed, Wounded Since Iran War
By
Israel's Foreign Minister Israel Katz
Israel Warns Erdogan Over Turkey’s “Dangerous Adventures” in Syria
By
U.S. President Donald Trump
Trump Declares ‘Economic D-Day’ Against Iran, Threatens Partners
By
Baden-Württemberg, Karlsruhe: A person is led to a helicopter. A suspected mastermind of the attacks on the Nord Stream gas pipelines had previously had a detention hearing at the investigating judge of the Federal Court of Justice (BGH) in Karlsruhe.
Germany Arrests Ukrainian in Croatia Over Nord Stream Sabotage
By
Yemeni coastguard members loyal to the internationally-recognised government observe as others ride in a patrol boat in the Red Sea off of the government-held town of Mokha in the western Taiz province, close to the strategic Bab al-Mandab Strait
Houthis Plot Bab al-Mandab Seizure, Threatening Global Shipping
By
US President Donald Trump (L) and Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney (R)
Trump Pauses 50% Canada Tariffs as Trade Deal Nears
By
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio
Rubio Discusses Hormuz Security with UAE Official
By

SIGN UP FOR FREE TO EAGLE INTELLIGENCE REPORTS

Exclusive Insights & Reports

Get access to in-depth analysis, exclusive intelligence, and expert reports designed to keep you informed and ahead of the curve on the most important global developments.

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy.

Eagle Intelligence Reports
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.